The biggest myth about Pilates is that it is only for women. After a considerable amount of research and thousands of hours of working with men, Pilates is ESSENTIAL for men! Here is why:
1. Men tend to overdo it– Men tend to lift more weight than they should whether it is the heavy box that Aunt Mary needs help with or in the gym trying to impress their buddy Mike. Pilates helps with muscle imbalances, postural awareness, and core strength to prevent the “overdo it injury” that takes men out of the game.
2. Men tend to be more tight- Men do not possess as much of the “flexibility” hormone prolactin (more plentiful in women as it assists in childbirth) and their pelvises are typically more narrow than women contributing to tightness in the lower back, hips, and hamstrings. Pilates is a stretch and strengthen and focuses more on the intrinsic muscles–the “glue” that holds the body together as opposed to the extrinsic muscles (i.e. the “guns” 0r biceps)
3. Pilates is Functional- Want to play catch with little Johnny in the backyard but your shoulder injury from your too many “killer backhands” in racquetball is preventing you? Pilates teaches your to use all the underused muscles that you don’t hit when at the gym or throwing a ball. That will also provide an arsenal of support for healing an injury and keep you doing activities that you love.
4. I Drank Too Much Craft Beer and now I have a gut- All jokes aside, Pilates emphasizes on core muscles that support your spine and help you stand tall (which makes you look thinner and feel better!).
5. Pilates is Mind/Body- Is your life stressful? Spend an hour with the active Pilates breath, body awareness, and fun diverse exercises and your cares seem to melt away.
6. Pilates is never boring– Lunges, squats and bicep curls have you snoozing all the way to the gym?With the vast amount of equipment and props, Pilates has hundreds of exercises that keep your muscles guessing and your mind intrigued.
7. Pilates is a great full body workout- Most of the men that our studio trains, only do Pilates for muscular conditioning. They get a thorough workout that conditions the body in all dimensions. They move and find muscles they thought they never had. Oh, and they still work the oldie but goodie ones (those guns!) but from a mindful, strong, and stable center!